When you walk, bike or take muni to your Body Awakening appointment, we knock $4.50 off the price of your session to offset roundtrip Muni fare or just reward your green transit choice. Protecting our environment is a collective responsibility so offering green transport benefits are our way of saying “thank you for doing your part to keep our air clean.”
Not only is greening your transportation good for the Earth – it’s also good for your MIND and BODY. Walking, biking and public transporting over to your therapeutic session at Body Awakening is conducive to your overall health. Here are 5 health reasons to encourage everyone to choose alternatives to driving solo:
- Getting to point A from point B without a car has the added benefit of exercise. According to the American Heart Association, it takes as little as 30 minutes of walking to reduce the risk of osteoporosis, breast & colon cancer, type II diabetes, obesity, coronary heart disease AND improve blood pressure levels, blood sugar levels, blood lipid profile and mental wellbeing.
- Driving requires concentration and creates mental stress. It’s also the activity that has given rise to the phenomenon of “Road Rage.”
- Sitting behind the wheel for a prolonged period decreases the lumbar curve in the spine which places extra strain on the vertebrae and discs and results in lower back pain.
- On road vehicles produce over a third of the carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxides in the atmosphere. Breathing in these pollutants have serious consequence for human health – Nitrogen oxides cause lung irritation and weaken the body’s defense against respiratory infections and carbon monoxide blocks oxygen from the brain, heart and other vital organs. Fetuses,newborn children and people with chronic illness are especial susceptible.
- If your finances are stressing you out, switching to a car-free life can save you the costs associated with car ownership i.e. payments, insurance, maintenance, repairs, fuel, tolls and parking. Car-centric development in the US has led to Americans thinking of a car as a necessity. However, in San Francisco and other cities planning for multi-modal transport and Transit Oriented Development (TOD), we have alternatives to move around.